Pages

Popular Posts

10.22.2008

MTG Potpourri

~
Yep - "MTG Potpourri" a collection of unrelated nonsense from the dusty corners of my mind . . .

You may recall this POST about a month ago in which I had spoke onto the Jund Saproling token generators in Shards of Alara. I was so interested in just how well this may work, I started collecting and after a few weeks of trades was able to acquire the engine to this deck. I then promptly gave it to one of my kids who rose to the challenge and built a fairly solid deck around it. He now wins a good number of games with his so-called 'Mushroom' build against me.
Here again is the skinny on the Saproling generators. (For other Shards of Alara token generators, check out this previous POST).










Jund Battlemage ({G}, {T}: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.)

Mycoloth (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play for each +1/+1 counter on Mycoloth.)

Necrogenesis ({2}: Remove target creature card in a graveyard from the game. Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.)

Sprouting Thrinax (When Sprouting Thrinax is put into a graveyard to play, put three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens into play.)

~
This is something I had posted in the forums some time ago and thought it may be worthy of a post here.

In some games, keeping track of wither may be something of a challenge. With 'wither' damage flying across the table as well as pumps from Lieges and other spells, a player is lucky to just have the +1/+1 and -1/-1 cancel eachother out as a state-based effect. Otherwise, one would have to resort to two different coloured counters or dice.

As I was rummaging through a closet, I came across an old Milton-Bradley game 'Othello'. This classic board game comes with a big bag of two-coloured, two-sided chips. Just perfect I thought for keeping tracks of positive and negative counters for my stable of critters. I had received some positive feed-back from opponents and other players on this and so I now share with you.


~
And now for something completely different . . .

I am not sure why I had not seen these before today but just look at how very cool these Lorwyn Planeswalker life counters are.

These are WoTC-approved life counters from Takara Tomy, a Japanese outfit. Apparently these special promotional cards had been given out during FNMs and tournaments in Japan. If you actually own a set of these rarities, consider yourself blessed and receive my envy as well as the envy from other MTG geeks around the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea with the othello pieces. I really like your saporling deck idea. Have you thought about making an extended version with some of the Ravnica Time Spiral saproling supports?

Norm said...

After I hit publish on the last comment I had a thought that adding some of the Liege cards from Shadowmoor Eventide would be a great idea. Especially Creekwood Liege as he makes work tokens.

Do you have a complete decklist published somewhere?

On a side note I think I'm going to start posting using my blogger account because I don't see when new comments are left when I post as casual magic.